EVC seeks a part-time Media and Instructional Coach to help support the growth of EVC’s Professional Development Programs. Through this program, the Media and Instructional Coach will play an integral role in helping teachers gain the experience they need to develop engaging, student-centered spaces where youth produce impactful video projects about issues of immediate importance to their lives.
Major responsibilities include:
-Support teachers in implementing EVC educational philosophy of practice and Youth Powered Video (YPV) curriculum
– Identify with teachers at least one pedagogical goal that is in alignment with EVCs methodology
– Support teachers to meet that goal through weekly (or otherwise scheduled) coaching sessions which includes planning, modeling, observing, team-teaching and debriefing lessons to provide resources and suggestions to improve practices
-Gather evidence of student work to support teachers in reflecting on progress toward professional development and program goals
-Facilitate assessment of teacher practice and student learning
– Report on coaching activities after each session
-EVC Staff Meetings and Professional Development
– Attendance at all EVC Study Groups, staff meetings, and PD sessions, dates to be determined
– Additional reading assignments for Study Group or staff meetings
– Keep Director of PDP informed of all issues you would like to address, either collectively or individually
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications include:
-Bachelor’s Degree or higher, from an accredited college or university
-Strong instructional and classroom management skills
-At least 5 years experience working with a diverse student population in schools
-Video and or film production or post-production experience
-Experiencing writing unit plans and lesson plans
-Strong facilitation skills and experience with learner-centered, project-based learning
-Strong commitment to social justice and youth activism
-Understanding of principles of positive youth development
-Demonstrated commitment to EVC’s educational philosophy
-Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
-Strong planning and personal organization skills
-Flexibility, resourcefulness and a sense of humor
-Experience teaching middle or high school students
-Experience delivering professional development to teachers
-Experience assessing student work
-Familiarity with student-led portfolio assessments
This is a part-time contract position contingent on project funding. The rate of compensation for coaching is $250 per full day, and $150 per half-day session. Coaches also attend EVC full staff Study Group and periodic coaching program meetings.
This position reports to and is supported by the Director of Professional Development Programs.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Send resume and cover letter describing your relevant experience and the outcomes of that work, to EVC PDP Director Mary Grueser at: mgrueser@EVC.org
EVC is committed to a diverse workplace and is an enthusiastic equal opportunity employer.
EVC’s Professional Development Program (PDP) gives PK-12 teachers the proven teaching strategies and practical skills they need to plan, facilitate, and evaluate student-produced video projects while meeting the Common Core Standards. Evidence shows that providing students with a learner-center environment, where they produce real-world projects that explore issues of immediate relevance to their lives increases students’ attendance, literacy skills, and engagement in learning. Principals and teachers at EVC partner schools, which primarily serve high needs students, are eager to adopt our approach to engage their students in becoming life-long learners while enriching their school culture.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support PDP Director in planning and implementing various components of PDP. Specific tasks related to this work might include:
• Assist in developing and editing curricular materials
• Assist in reviewing and developing program evaluation materials
• Help planning and executing teacher summer institute
• Help managing media and organizing archival materials
• Support media and instructional coaches in leading workshops, as needed
• Develop online tools to support the work of media and instructional coaches
• Proven interest in the field of education and positive youth development
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Experience working with youth development programming
• Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively
• Strong analytical skills
• Willingness to adapt to the changing needs of a small, entrepreneurial department
• Experience using MS Office and Google tools (docs, spreadsheets, forms, sites) on a Mac platform
• Experience with video equipment and editing software a plus!
Goals of Internship: At the end of this internship you will have gained valuable nonprofit program implementation and management skills, including program planning, monitoring and evaluation.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to Mary Grueser at firstname.lastname@example.org